What a difference a year makes! Well, maybe not so much since Covid-19 is still here. Despite the challenges, Jackson Public Library continues to thrive, with a focus on keeping our community healthy and safe (thank you for wearing your mask when you visit!) while providing the books and services you expect and enjoy.
The JPL Library Staff is unmatched for enthusiasm, dedication, and patron-centered focus. From finding that perfect read, to assisting with research, to accessing technology - just ask a Staff member! Many thanks to Lichen, Meredith, Lisa and Gloria for all they do to keep the JPL open and welcoming for patrons and visitors alike.
Here are some of our highlights for 2021:
- JPL is open 5 days each week, with curbside delivery available upon request.
- Internet access capabilities were upgraded and expanded. Other IT services include patron computer availability, remote printing and Chromebook lending.
- For the most part, indoor programs have been limited to small groups (we welcome your ideas in this area!) or Zoom format.
- Our Summer Reading Program was a great success, with our tent providing a safe environment in which children could interact and learn.
- Summer concerts on the lawn and under our tent proved to be challenging - we just couldn’t predict or control the weather! Our performers received high praise from the brave souls who showed up despite some damp and dreary weather.
- JPL and the Jackson Grammar School are partnering to provide weekly Library visits and services for students in grades K-6. The excitement shown by the students tells us that the Library is an important part of their lives.
And now for the 2021 numbers. Total circulation was 19,477 items loaned, comprised of 6587 adult books, 5954 juvenile books, 4477 DVD’s, 2182 audiobooks, 1099 eBooks and 449 other non-print materials. Total patron visits were over 14,428. Active patrons totaled 508.
Visit our website for Library news, and information about upcoming events and materials available to borrow. Look for our newly enhanced catalog system (Aspen Discovery) in 2022 for improved user-friendly access to JPL’s many offerings.
Thanks to the dedicated JPL Staff for continuing to step up to the challenges of operating in a Covid-19 environment, to my colleagues on the JPL Board of Trustees for their guidance in navigating the many issues we faced this year, and to the Friends of the Jackson Public Library who continue to provide funding for many a program, book purchase, special project and other needs as they arise. It is a privilege to be associated with this team of people who are passionate about the Jackson Public Library and its place in our community.
And thanks to you for supporting the Jackson Public Library!
Linda M. Terry, Chair
Jackson Public Library Board of Trustees